Buying & Selling Property
At Mackenzie Jones we understand that whilst buying or selling a property is a very exciting prospect, it can also be a daunting experience.
Buying a property is often the most expensive purchase you will ever make. We appreciate this will be a very exciting time for you but also at the same time, the most stressful. Mackenzie Jones will guide you through the process to make the transaction as stress fee as possible.
We are dynamic and approachable and appreciate that this is a process that many people are involved in on only a handful of occasions during their lifetime and whilst there are many factors that can be out of your control, our lawyers will deal with the transaction with the care and attention it deserves.
Our Service and Fees
Here at Mackenzie Jones all of our clients buying or selling a property are allocated an experienced conveyancer who will deal with your transaction from start to finish. You will be told from the outset who the main fee earner is acting for you and whom they are supported by. You will therefore have two main points of contact throughout the transaction always available to guide you through the process.
Once we receive your instructions you will receive a call from the conveyancer to introduce themselves and to also answer any initial queries you may have. Your file will then be opened and you will be sent some initial documentation for you to complete and return.
We will always be available to guide you through the process and discuss any queries you may have to ensure that they are dealt with as effectively and efficiently as possible.
Most people purchasing a property will require a mortgage. Mackenzie Jones are on all major lender panels for conveyancing and can therefore act on behalf of your lender and yourself.
Our service to you will include:
- Requesting all necessary searches and advising fully on the results;
- Providing you with copies of completed Fixtures and Fittings forms and Property Information forms;
- Investigating legal title to the property and raising enquiries with the sellers' solicitors (or responding to enquiries in a sale transaction);
- In leasehold transactions, checking the terms of the lease and ensuring that you are provided with a copy of the lease and a report clearly explaining your rights and obligations including any responsibility for you to pay ongoing service charges for the repair and maintenance of the building and/or any ground rent payable to the Landlord;
- In new build transactions, checking all planning permissions, building regulations consents, adoption agreements and advising you fully thereon;
- Where appropriate, checking the management pack provided by the property Freeholder or Management Company;
- Dealing with all bank transfers, identity checks and the payment of any Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) or Land Transaction Tax (LTT);
- Registering you as the new owner with the Land Registry.
Our aim is to ensure the transaction is completed as smoothly and as quickly as possible. Assuming that the matter proceeds smoothly, we would expect a standard transaction to be completed within three months.
We ensure that you are provided with a fixed price at the outset so that you can budget accordingly. Our fixed fees are calculated with reference to the location and the value of the property.
Other factors which will effect the level of our fees include:
- where a transaction involves significant level of work;
- where a particularly fast turnaround is required;
- transactions involving leasehold property;
- transactions involving new build property;
- transactions involved shared ownership property;
- where the property is not yet registered with HM Land Registry (see Voluntary Land Registrations);
- trasactions involving repossession properties;
- where a buyer is proceeding through the Right to Buy or Help to Buy ISA schemes.
We will also confirm any likely "disbursements" payable at the outset. in addition to our fees. Disbursements are additional costs related to your transaction, which are payable to third parties. These might include search fees or search indemnity insurance premiums, bank telegraphic/same day transfer fees, lender fees, HM Land Registry fees and any taxes payable.
It is the most significant transaction you will ever make. Do not leave it to chance, use our experts at Mackenzie Jones Solicitors.